Thursday, September 29, 2011

Womanliness and toughness.

"There's a rumor going around that boys are tougher than girls! Oh please! Can you carry a 8 pound baby in your stomach for 9 months and survive hours of labor? Can you cook, clean, and talk on the phone all the at the same time? Can you bleed for a week and not die? Can you walk in 5inch heels? Can you cry all night then wake the next day like everything is ok? Remember guys, WOMEN ARE ONLY HELPLESS UNTIL THEIR NAIL POLISH DRIES! Put this on your wall if your proud to be a women ♥"**

This particular repost thingy is insulting to men,and that's the goal but it's also insulting to women in a much more subtle manner. What if you're one of the women who can't carry a baby to full term- how insensitive is that. And no I can't cook clean and talk on the phone at the same time- though I can cook and talk on the phone at the same time. I suppose I do bleed for a week and not die- but that's more of a biological accident rather than perceived toughness. As for walking in 5 Inch heels...Do you really think I can walk in heels period? Like for reals. I'm not really convinced that anyone can have a horrid night and wake up like everything is ok, man or woman.

Sidenote: Just exactly how vain does the line "Women are only helpless until their nail polish dries." sound?

So does the fact that I can't do 3 out of the 5 of these things make me less tough, or less womanly or both?

**I have left any and all grammar mistakes in this as is-despite how much they make me cringe

No comments: