Saturday, September 10, 2011

On 9/11

A thought struck me today as I was riding in the car with my roommate. A whole generation of kids don't know what 9/11 feels like and don't know what it feels like for America to not be fighting this war on terror.

It's so weird to me. I remember exactly where I was and how it broke down. I remember my Orchestra teachers' husband coming in and telling his wife they couldn't get ahold of their son. I remember being told that the pentagon and the world trade center had been hit at lunch. I remember that no one explained anything to us until my social studies teacher did, but most of all I remember how he did it. First, he drew a picture on the board to help demonstrate what happened and explained the magnitude of these buildings being targeted. Then he devoted the rest of class explaining that Islamic extremists did this, not all Muslims and that no matter what we were going to hear as it unfolded that it was really important to remember that all Middle Easterners aren't the enemy.

I think that's still important to remember. That all Muslims aren't terrorists. I think it's easy to forget.

No comments: