Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I Stand With Planned Parenthood.

I do stand with planned parenthood. I am pro-choice and I do think anti-choicers have their heads screwed on backwards. I have a facebook friend who is always linking to "news" stories from www.lifenews.com. Now you'll excuse me if I don't believe that any article that comes out of lifenews.com to be unbiased. But that's beside the point.

I stand with Planned Parenthood because they are the only abortion provider in much of the United States and they perform both a valuable and needed service in our communities.

I stand with Planned Parenthood because no cost or low cost birth control is more cost effective than unplanned baby.

I stand with Planned Parenthood because abstinence only sex ed does not work.

On a side note this article was on the front page of the New York Times today. I also happen to think this elected clergy person has her head on backwards. But this has a bigger implication that I think is very cool. This article on the front page of the New York Times sends a very strong signal that we as American people are no longer willing to let slights like this sit on the back burner. I'm sure it's happened more than this one reported case- but I feel like the message has been sent that says it isn't ok to perpetuate bigotry in the work place and that is a message I can get behind.

Dear Ms. Belforti,
It actually is your job to leave your personal business at the door when you walk into work. You can't reformat how your county issues marriage licenses because you don't want to sign the marriage license for Sue and Jane. You've been elected by your county, and part of your duties include signing marriage licenses, so either sign marriage licenses or resign. Those are really your two choices.

Love,
Me

No comments: